Questions for ‘Cool Jobs: Getting to know volcanoes'
1. What is a volcano?
2. Describe what you imagine a volcanic eruption sounds like.
1. What is pumice?
2. What happened to a piece of pumice when Ben Kennedy put it inside a device that simulated the inside of a volcano?
3. What force did he discover was causing this effect?
4. What is infrasound?
5. Name three things scientists can find out about a volcanic eruption using infrasound.
6. What are some of the dangers to scientists visiting volcanoes?
7. What is vog?
8. How can vog harm people?
9. Why can vog be a problem for businesses in Hawaii?
10. What tool did Steven Businger and other scientists use to predict vog movements?
1. Would you want to study a volcano up-close? Explain why.
2. How is the research described in this article helping to protect people from volcanoes?