Question sheet: Mercury's Magnetic Twisters
Dec 7, 2011 — 3:21 pm EST
- What is Mercury? Where is it?
- What would a planet need in order to have tornadoes?
- How might it be possible to see Mercury up close?
- How is Mercury’s atmosphere different from Earth’s?
- When did scientists first realize Mercury has a magnetic field? How is it different from Earth’s?
- What is the solar wind?
- What do the Northern Lights on Earth have to do with the solar wind?
- What do the researchers think happen when the solar wind hits Mercury’s atmosphere?
- How might this interaction create Mercury’s strange atmosphere? What is the atmosphere made of?
- Why might Mercury’s atmosphere appear to move?
- What do researchers need to do differently now in how they collect data about the planet?
- Why doesn’t the solar wind affect Earth the same way it affects Mercury?
- How was the solar wind discovered?
- Where else does plasma exist?