1. You can’t see bacteria with the unaided eye, but they’re all around us, no matter where we are. How does this make you feel?
2. What sorts of jobs do you think bacteria perform in the environment? Why do bacteria matter?
1. Scientists estimate that what percentage of the world’s bacteria species are still undiscovered?
2. What is a greenhouse gas?
3. Based on this story, how do some scientists identify where to look for bacteria that interest them on the ocean floor?
4. What’s the deepest place on Earth? How far below the ocean’s surface is it?
5. How do microbes affect the flavor of sourdough bread?
6. What are biofuels?
7. What are enzymes?
8. Where did Steve Singer find bacteria that are good at breaking down plants?
9. What is a metagenome?
10. What is the Earth Microbiome Project? How many scientists are participating in it?
1. Why do scientists care about bacteria eating methane on the ocean floor? How might these bugs help our planet?
2. How can researchers discover new species of bacteria without ever seeing them under a microscope?