Teacher’s Questions for Stem cells: The secret to change
Apr 10, 2013 — 4:21 pm EST
- How do cells multiply?
- What are stem cells?
- Why does the medical community find stem cell science so exciting?
- Name one location in the human body where stem cells are found.
- Blood stems cells can develop into what types of cells?
- What is the difference between adult and pluripotent stem cells?
- Why makes embryonic stem cells controversial?
- How are adult stem cells limited in their potential?
- What did Shinya Yamanaka discover?
- List three advantages to induced pluripotent stem cells over other types.
- What is the goal of Anne Cherry’s research?
- Explain how glaucoma can lead to blindness.
- How might stem cells help reverse the damage caused by glaucoma?
- What did Nick Jeffery seek to encourage in damaged nerve cells?
- Explain in your own words why stem cells could allow the body to heal itself.
- The researchers featured in this story work on different health problems. What are some features those problems share in common?
- Should society permit scientists to work with embryonic stem cells? Why or why not? Explain your position.